Saturday, May 19, 2007

Chickens In Your Backyard- Luttmann

When I first moved to Austin not too long ago, I was impressed by some of the unique features of the area. And the one that floored me the most was just how many people I met or heard about with chickens in their yard. My neighbors growing up had chickens, but I always thought of it as a country thing to do. I'm really impressed that people actually raise them in a moderate-sized city like Austin.
The Luttmanns have written a popular, accessible guide to raising chickens in a small backyard for folks thinking about producing their own eggs and/or meat.
The poultry industry is one of the most surreal and violent links in the industrial food chain. if you want to get away from that but still have a nice omelette on Sundays, or if you just want a closer connection to your food, this book may be for you. I do know that once you have a homegrown, organic egg, you'll never go back.

Related links:

No comments: